Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The most delicious chocolate cake (without egg)


The kids are going to a party this week and the host was asking me about receipes for cakes that my kids can eat. Sweet I thought. But all the talk about cakes made me hungry......
So we made our own. 
I made the Donna Hay Chocolate buttermilk layer cake (without the buttermilk or egg!) - From Issue 50 
It was DELICIOUS
I pretty much followed the receipe except just left the eggs out, and used normal full cream milk instead of buttermilk. For the icing I only had 250g of cream cheese so I doubled the amount of butter and it worked out lovely. Not sure if it was pure luck but the cake was extremely moist and very tasty.

The procedure was slightly different. You melt the butter with cocoa and water and add that to the dry ingredients then add the milk. Not sure if this is what makes it. I notice that alot of Donna Hay cake receipes use melted butter making for a quick cake mix. Whipping the butter and sugar seems to take so much longer, and without eggs I always have to whip alittle longer to get a nice fluffy cake.

The batter was really runny. Not what I am used to. So I was very delighted when it baked beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment