Friday, January 20, 2012

Community



The penny has finally dropped for me.

I love living in the city. I love the pace, the surroundings, the diversity and the anoniminity. (is that how you spell it? you know what I mean!)
I thought being in a community was only achieved in the country. That it was for the country folk who only had each other. I have found as I have grown, that sometimes this fast pace isn't all its cracked up to be and how the country air and peace would be so calming, and the answer to all lifes woes. I have been reading country mags and watching 'escape to the country' thinking and dreaming about my own escape.


I have been a school parent for 3 years now and only just realised how valuable the friendships I have made are. How much in common I have with these people and how different we also are which makes our relationships even more fun and exciting. 
How comforting it is to walk up to the plaza and know people, stop and chat, make plans to catch up. 
As my gorgeous kids grow and especially with our new little man, I realise how much community means and how a helping hand is always there when really needed. AND how I love to help when I can in turn. Who knew I had it in me!
The more I put in, the more I get back. simple really.
Its quite a turnaround for me from when I was pregnant I was feeling so down for awhile and did not want to talk to ANYONE!

We have wonderful neighbours, watching out for each other. Its so nice to pop over for a cuppa, a chat outside the letterboxes or the wave as we pass in or out. Its these simple things that add up.

As we start to plan to leave this city life, I realise that I actually LOVE it here and have a wonderful community around me.  I am now thinking I can slow things down in my life, in my day. I dont have to move and let it be controlled, but I can control it myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment